Got out to the barn early so I could get a start on studying for my exams later in the week. Got Libby out of her paddock, and she didn’t have her boots, or her bell boots on. And the hot wire wasn’t connected. Hmmm. Brought her back into the barn to put her on the crossties, and realized it was a new girl working, so she probably hadn’t realized that she needed her boots.
|She didn’t want to come in…|
Groomed Lib up and tacked her up. She was exceptionally clean which I was happy about. But I realized something the other day in talking with my friend K. Both of our horses never seem to have stains anymore. Stains from lying down. Or even shavings on their sides in the mornings. Spoke very briefly with the owners husband about it, and he said hes never seen Libby lying down. This makes me sad, because I know Libby LOVES to dose off and sleep, and she loves lying down. I can remember numerous times going to ride her at my trainers old barn and shed be sleeping. I hope this doesn’t mean she doesn’t feel comfortable here, or that she doesn’t get enough REM sleep.
Onto our ride, Libby was o.k.. Again, shes extremely distracted, getting fixated on things and not paying attention to me at all. Its so frustrating, and I’m trying hard not to loose my cool and to keep things light. I honestly feel like we are at the same point as when I had bought her last summer. And its really frustrating to me. Made her do at least one nice canter around the ring both ways without spooking, and called it a day.
Brought her in and gave her her daily dose of treats. Hosed her down, and in hosing her noticed something different on her right hock, the one that my vet had told me to watch for. On the outer side of her hock, there is a perfect circle like swelling. Called my vet, but haven’t heard back from her. I wonder if this is what has been causing some pain to Libby, whatever it is.
Drew some circles to help show you guys
And the left side for comparison
And now onto my new Pros-Cons List
- Higher quality training
- More of a show atmosphere
- Stalls are way more heavily bedded and I don’t need to keep on top of them like I do at current facility
- Always turned out with boots
- Ring is more usable
- Hay included
- Access to other horses, should I suddenly feel the need to ride other horses
- I know all the girls that are there now, and would be bringing K with me with her horse
- Hot water
- Farrier can go there
- Far from me
- No bathroom
- Need to make sure no one uses my things, or that things aren’t stolen
- Shed need to be on full night turnout (not really a con)
- No real tack room
- People coming in and out
- Trainer did not handle herself well towards the end
- Doesn’t return calls/texts sometimes
- Great care
- Always listen to my little requests
- Very relaxed atmosphere, no pressure
- Real air condition tack room, with an actual bathroom
- Closer to me
- No one uses my stuff
- No chance of things being stolen
- Always answers texts and keeps me up to date on things
- Lower quality training
- People are a little weird around us, me and K
- Need a new farrier, not so much a problem
- Ring set up is a bit strange
- Not a show atmosphere whatsoever
- Use the pelleted shavings that I hate, and won’t bed her stall as much as I’d like
- Sometimes things get done but not correctly
Very short lists I know, but I really was drawing a bit of a brain fart. I’ve mostly been concentrating on the training aspect and not so much the specific points of why I was upset in the first place at the old farm.
I’m going to have a chat with my old trainer to see whether or not she can even take on two new people, and that things need to be different this time around.
Rep comes out today! Will let you guys know how it goes!