Sorry for my short absence, but there’s really nothing to report lately.
As I said in my last post, Libby had a small bout of lameness the beginning of the month. I thought maybe her shoulder was out, which was why she was so short still on concrete. So I called our chiro out, and told him the recent happenings. A lot of “hmmm”‘s later and he decided we should do a full lameness work up. He used to be a successful lameness vet before he specialized in chiropractic work, so I knew if there was anything there, he would find it.
After trotting her on concrete, grass, ring footing, concrete straight to grass, and lots of lunging, he brought her in to palpate the soft tissue structures of her lower limb. Ears forward and falling asleep, Libby was relaxed and quietly standing. He started palpate and all was fine. Digital flexor tendons, both superficial and deep. All good. Suspensory. Sensitive. Awesome.
After getting a positive sensitivity reading a good three times in a row, he was pretty sure she has suspensory sensitivity. He proceeded to adjust her, but I was stuck on that phrase “suspensory sensitivity”. He told me to ride her lightly and let him know how she was in a week. Of course, right when he left I panicked and I texted my vet. The conversation went a bit like:
Me: So what is the best possible diagnosis if a horse has a sensitive suspensory?
Vet: Strained suspensory
Me: And how do you treat that?
Vet: This is hypothetical right?
Me: Kind of….
Vet: Details please?
So vet tells me give her off and bute her up, and let her know how she is.
Good thing I’d planned to go home for Fathers day…
So right now I don’t really know what to do with her. Shes not LAME lame, there’s no head bobbing. Shes just a little short on concrete and hard ground, almost looks like shes not extending from her shoulder, which is why I thought her shoulder was out at first. I rode her today, only walk trot, and she still feels sound. And there was no sensitivity in her suspensory today.
I just know there’s something in there, and I want to figure it out once and for all. Of course she was also INCREDIBLY cold backed today, but that’s another thing entirely….
For whatever reason my trainer seems to think Regumate will help. But I’ll have to talk to the vet. Obviously.
Until then thats all I got. Lets keep our fingers crossed that the magical fix-it fairy comes and waves her magic wand on Libby. And gives me loads of cash so I can show.